Jim Hughes

2021 Mazda CX-5 at near invoice

I had been researching a new compact SUV and decided on a Mazda CX-5. I wanted the Touring or the Touring + preferred package. Dear reader, where I live in southern Ohio there are very, very few CX-5's on dealer lots and all of them - no surprise - seemed to be the higher trim levels.

I found one dealership that listed a Touring model (literally there was only 1 Touring model out of 5 dealerships) and ran a YAA report before I went to the dealership. MSRP $28,510; invoice: $27,689; negotiability: virtually none.

I test drove the car and I loved it, but (because of a YAA video I watched) I told the salesman I liked it, but really wanted the Touring + preferred package. He said he thought they were allotted one (just 1), but he wasn't sure when it would arrive. I said too bad because if you had that model now I would buy it today.

So I asked what was his best price on the CX-5 Touring and he said MSRP, but at least they weren't adding dealer add-ons or market adjustments. I said I know what invoice is and if you can split the difference between that and MSRP I'd buy it. Dear reader, that is basically what ended up happening, he offered $28,100.

Finally, as we were doing the paperwork the salesman asked if I already had a Mazda because Mazda was offering a loyalty discount of $750. I have a 2004 Mazda 6 that my son drives which I bought from a friend at work years ago. It has over 200K miles on it and will now cost more to fix than its worth. He said, that doesn't matter it counts.

So between the offer and the Mazda loyalty discount (which, sadly, was applied after taxes) I paid right around invoice. I know people post stories about better deals on this forum, but honestly I think this was as good as I possibly could expect to do on a CX-5 in the current market.

BTW, isn't it beautiful:

Like Comment